A place for me to share my recent work, random musings on photography and reflect on my thoughts, experiences, ideas and revelations.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Anonymous American Photographer


I subscribe to receive e-mails from Christie's and Sotheby's with results from various art auctions. Sotheby's recently had an auction of photographs, many of which were historical photographs by famous photographers. A large number of them were daguerreotypes from the 1840's. There were a few Westons, a Cunningham or two. Adams, Strand, Stieglitz and Steichen were among the names listed. But what struck me was the number of photographs - primarily the daguerreotypes - that were listed as being by "Anonymous American Photographer." I couldn't help but think, "is that our fate? Are we either famous or anonymous?" Scary thought.

No comments: